Experts say that Backpacking can burn up to 650 calories per hour in easy terrain. Even hiking without a pack can burn up to 550 calories per hour. So if you were looking for a way to get fit this summer get outdoors and hike your butt off. And remember camera gear counts! Pack it, Use it! Wouldn't you rather be hiking in the mountains than on some treadmill in a gym?
Everyone is looking for a way to lose weight and stay fit these days. There are so many fad diets, meal replacements, calorie counting, and magic pills to loose weight. It's getting harder and harder to understand just what is best for you.
And on top of that as we get older issues such as heart disease, hypertension, diabetes, anxiety, and the list goes on. Did you know that over 750,000 people died last year from heart disease? Or that the number of people with diabetes is up more than 50% from the 1980s? That's pretty bad right? Being over weight is the number one cause of not just these two diseases but many others facing us today.
So how can we fix it? To start a heathy diet starting with vegetables, fruit, healthy proteins, and no processed foods. But that is not enough, exercising and being active is the key to being healthy! Here are some facts for you to think about.
- Hiking helps lower blood pressure and reduce hypertension.
- Hiking helps your body release adrenaline to eases tension and lower anxiety.
- Hiking increases bone density and slows the rate of calcium loss to decreases the effects of Osteoporosis.
- People who hike will lose more weight and will be able to maintain wieght loss more than people who diet only.
- Hiking will actually help to reverse type 2 Diabeties and lower the dependence of insulin in type 1 Diabeties.
- Hiking will not only help your body but your mind as well, fresh air, fresh sights, and sounds will help stimulate your brain and make it easier to clear your head.
- Hiking will also help you sleep, lack of sleep is one of the biggest problems facing people today.
Hiking is a very low impact activity and almost anyone can do it. Growing up many great friendships and relationship came from hiking with others. There is something fulfilling about going on a journey with someone you care about. Take your children hiking, spend some time with them away from TVs and video games, it will be hard at first but once out on the trail they will love it, and the memories and healthy habits you create will last a lifetime.